Sep 27, 2016

McGyver Skills

We got through the weekend and all the excitement, so today was definitely a Monday.

You have to hold your head just right...
I had a dentist appointment first thing and it was incredibly painful as he attempted to seal up this open-ended root to finish off my root canal. (And tonight I can't sleep because the pain is so bad...) When we were finished, I got back to the house just in time to meet Bossy so we could drop Salsa off at preschool with Scout and head for Utah County.

Remember I told you about Prima Donna's car accident on Friday night? Well, Bossy and Gamer managed to get the car down the canyon (barely!) and to a grocery store parking lot where it overheated on them. Today we decided we had to deal with it.

When we got there, Bossy immediately opened the hood, checked things out, and then crawled beneath the car. The radiator hose was broken, so I went into Harman's and bought some duct tape and a tube. Unfortunately, the tube was not even remotely what she was thinking, so I returned it to the store and bought a bottle of Gatorade.

With McGyver-like precision, we cut the bottom from the bottle and used it to bridge the hole in the hose. I say "we" loosely; Bossy did all the work and I ripped strips of duct tape for her. The first time the leaks were terrible and we had to start over, but before long she had the car on the road with its makeshift repair.

We made it as far as Pleasant Grove before it started to overheat, but that was far enough. We were within the 50-mile radius to get our tow free from State Farm under the rules of my insurance policy. I made the call and we headed for home. We were a few minutes late to pick up the kids, but a quick call before we left made that totally fine.

So proud of Bossy for her ingenuity! I'm thinking maybe she can go to work as a mechanic...
... or a rep for Gatorade.

No comments: