Jun 18, 2013

Yardwork

Let's just get this over with right up front...I am NOT a yard work fan! I have neighbors who can putter around in their yards all day long, but not me. I don't like getting dirty and weeding is just obnoxious like doing laundry...a never-ending task.

So imagine how I was feeling when my sweetie came home early from work today so we could plant tomatoes and flowers. I love seeing him while it's still light outside, but honestly I wasn't feeling well and the last thing I wanted to do was work in the yard.

Like a dutiful wife, I followed him out to the garden, but I also brought a chair and planted it in a shady spot so I could watch him work. He even had on his overalls I gave him for Fathers' Day yesterday and I must say, he looked pretty good! But I digress...

After about 20 minutes of watching him chop weeds with a shovel, I started feeling guilty and I invented a reason to go back inside (although Scout really did have to go to her dance class...).

After dinner, he made it clear that he expected everyone to work in the front yard as part of our family home evening activities. So we all reluctantly dragged ourselves out the door. I quickly assigned each child specific duties and then I went to work on the weeds. When my sweetie saw that I was planning to work, he sent Sport to the back yard to retrieve a chair for me, but there was no way I was going to sit and watch while everyone else was working.

I wish I would have taken before and after pics for you.We totally made a HUGE difference in the flowerbeds! I trimmed back bushes and roses, the girls planted flowers, and the boys attacked the big weeds. A couple more hours of work and it will look awesome (as long as we get it done before the weeds start coming back)!

I wanted to take a picture for you, but by the time we were cleaned up, it was already dark outside, so we came in and we each ate a big bowl of ice cream to celebrate. I had pistachio, one of my very favorites. It was almost worth the dirty fingernails and the multiple scratches from the rose bushes as they fell before my unsympathetic pruners.

Almost.
.

3 comments:

Messy Musings said...

yummm... ice cream!! a suitable reward for icky yard work ;o)

Laynah said...

It sucks when you're doing it but the end result is so satisfying that it's worth it. Also...ice cream. You really can't beat that logic.

LeAnn said...

Ok, we are so alike on this one. I just love to watch my husband work in the yard; but I don't like outdoor work at all. I do try to plant some flowers once in a while. We have had a few good gardens; but I mainly just enjoy picking the tomatoes and etc.
Now that we don't have children to help; it is even worse.
I do hope you are feeling better.
Blessings to you all; that was a great family home evening event.