Jul 14, 2016

Guest Blog: Look What Baby Doll Can Do! by Teach

Today was a laundry day. Due to the joy of apartment living, I often go back to Mom's house to do our laundry for cost effectiveness. After putting in the clothes, I took a load off on the couch to check on the status of my Pokemon. Baby Doll was running around doing crazy stuff and when I looked up she was standing in front of me, wearing a helmet and a My Little Pony dress, and she said, "I need adult supervision."

"Who says that?!?" Remember, she's 5.

"I do. I need to ride my 2-wheeler bike and I need adult supervision while I'm doing it."

Hesitant, but wanting to be a nice sister I said, "Okaaaaay... but don't you think you should put on pants before you ride a bike? I rode a bike in a dress while I was a missionary and it was hard."

She walked away and I went back to throwing Pokeballs.

"I GUESS I'LL NEVER LEARN TO RIDE A BIKE!"

Well, that escalated quickly. "Baby Doll, why aren't you going to learn?"

"Because I can't find any pants, so I guess I won't learn."

"All right," I said, "Let's go outside and learn. You can wear a dress. It's fine."

Folks, we headed outside at 2:40 PM and we walked back inside with a successful bike rider at 3:35. Less than an hour for that girl to learn to ride a bike. The experience was extremely enjoyable for me. I love teaching and I love when the student wants to learn. Granted her primary motivation was that, "Curly will be so shocked to see this!" I taught her how to pedal, balance, and even fall down gracefully. After she had ridden on her own three times, I asked her if there was anything else she wanted me to teach her.


"Well, I should probably learn how to pump the tire, because what if you aren't here and only Scout is babysitting me and I need to pump my tire?"

I don't think anyone could ever consider that this girl needs BABYsitting ever again. She is a small, yet intelligent adult.

In case y'all are wondering, this 25-year-old is pretty pro at Pokemon. So I guess I am a large, yet intelligent child.

2 comments:

Natalie Ockey said...

Way to go Baby Doll! I love the spunkiness!

LeAnn said...

Oh, this one brought a smile to my face.I loved it all. Baby Doll is amazing and I totally enjoyed her sweet comments.
You are quite the writer too because I enjoyed every word. Yes, I liked the two analogies of Baby Doll and you. You go girls; girls rule!
Blessings and hugs!