May 8, 2014

Blast from the Past: Sport's 3rd Birthday Party


I had great comments on my first Blast from the Past post so I thought I would try again. After 30 years of marriage and raising kids, I certainly have plenty of material. The biggest problem is that my digital pics don't go that far back, but someday I will learn to use my new scanner so I can give you more stories on the older kids when they were small.

But for now, we will settle on sharing about life after 2005. As you know, Sport was born in 2003. From the very beginning he was obsessed with all things cars as you can see from his gifts and his birthday cake. He was a cute little towhead with more curls than I remember.

We had a regular family party for him with cake and ice cream, but his favorite part about this birthday was the fact that the original Cars movie was released just before. So we made a huge outing of it and took the kids to see the movie at Jordan Commons. They all loved it! I'm sure you have already figured the math, but Scout was little then and Bossy was pregnant with Burrito so Taco was already born. We were a pretty big group!

After the movie was over, everyone was feeling pretty hungry and I (without stopping to consider the price) agreed that we could eat at what was then the Mayan. I think I was caught in a moment of weakness. My own mom had passed away a few days before and we were all reeling from funeral plans and the reality of her death. Somehow, making a memory seemed super important.

The food was mediocre, but the entertainment was phenomenal! It was a jungle-themed restaurant with real trees inside and a giant pool in the center. They had cliff divers performing every few minutes, arching out over the water every few minutes in that perfect swan dive probably 50 feet down. The kids were entranced and we stayed there much longer than necessary. Thank goodness it was the middle of the afternoon!

The check too was phenomenal (nearly $200!). It is the most I have ever paid for a single meal and bit into my grocery money for the rest of the month. At the time I was very unhappy with my spontaneous choice, but now looking back nearly a decade, and the restaurant is gone, it was a small investment for such a vivid memory.

I just wish I had pictures.




3 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed this blast from the past.

Anonymous said...

You only have so many wonderful birthday memories, Sport was not going to be turning 3 forever, I don't know how many kids you had then but I doubt you would ever do that again, it helped that it eased some grief from your Mother's passing and the funeral arrangements, etc..Good that you did it..We lived in Denver and they had casa bonita we went when we first married in august of all times hottest day they had had 101, they had divers too, and many things for kids to keep cool and adults too, we stayed 5 hours and they kept serving us for a paltry $4.95 each and when I said we had just gotten married they brought us tons of desserts and a cheesecake to take home oh, my goodness. I don't know if it is still in business but we have remembered that for nearly 40 years come this may 2014 and august 2014..One cannot take back time, we have pictures of everything. We did tip the server well...don't fret over anything you do to make your familia happy on their birthday, one cannot take back time at all, ciao!

LeAnn said...

What a very fun memory. We had a similar experience at that restaurant. The Divers made it memorable but the food was high.
Blessings and hugs!