Feb 14, 2014

Guest Blog: 10969 Days by Sweetie

A consecutive streak came to an end today.

What started on November 1, 1984 and has continued day after day since then to now? That's 10,696 days if your wondering. So what has gone on that long but is now at an end? Could it be the love I have for my wife... no, I loved her longer than that and that will never end. Could it be consecutive days of inversion? No, it just seems like it in the Salt Lake valley sometimes. 

I'll give you a hint. In that time we have used approximately 101,000 of them. Does that help? 

Well, Bossy was born on November 1, 1984, and from then until today, we have had one or more of our precious little ones in diapers... 29 years 3 months and 13 days of changing diapers. 90% or more of those have been lovingly taken care of by my sweet wife... 

Thank you will never cover it, but thank you.
It's kind of funny, I remember thinking I couldn't wait until they were out of diapers... the expense, the messy ones... but I find it's both exciting and sort of sad. I'm so excited for Baby Doll who practically trained herself. My wife is getting good at waiting until they do... fewer tears all the way around.. And sort of sad. 

I miss the cry of a newborn, the beauty of kissing their little heads. You can practically taste heaven by putting your own newborn gently to your lips. I never realized how much I would miss that... and no diapers means soon it will be no preschoolers, then no one in elementary. It will just keep coming and I'll keep missing something. 

One thing I won't miss is the expense of buying diapers..... I know I'll never see a sudden windfall from not buying diapers. I'm pretty sure the dance tights and costume expenses outweigh diaper expenses any day. So there it is, I've paid for about 101,000 diapers...If that isn't scary, think about this one.. We have had a baby or a toddler in the nursery at church for 29 years... which is almost as scary as having survived over 108 months (that's 9 years) of living with a pregnant wife.... 

The old days were hard, but good .. the new days are looking easy.. Three teenage girls... an autistic college student, three in elementary and one newly potty-trained big girl preschooler. What could be hard about that?

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, that is a HUGE milestone! Congratulations! Let a new era begin...

Marci said...

Congratulations on not needing to buy diapers anymore! Diapers are expensive, and sometimes super nasty! I look forward to the day that Emma is potty trained, although I don't want her to grow up too fast! I also am excited about the day that I can stop buying $100+ of formula a month! Luckily I know that day is coming soon!

Anonymous said...

29 years of kids and those months of a pregnant wife, wow whee, not many people have any kids anymore and diapers well, they are disposable and expensive as all get out...! Many are going to cloth but only if the mom or dad is home and washing those diapers or a diaper service which is expensive..but many do..One child is getting to be the norm for most people, they can see fit for college, expenses and living period..Many women work immediately after their only child is born, many have nannies and have household help no matter if they are efficient and have a hubby who likes to keep the house tidy..How wonderful you have so many lovely loving, God Loving children, it is you and your wife's doing, God's blessings to how you parent what kind of family you are and it probably makes a big big big difference to live in Utah near your faiths LDS headquarters and the fact you keep your faith near in your hearts and lives, Happy Valentine's day to you and yours..god's blessings always too!X()

LeAnn said...

Oh my gosh, this was a cute one. It is amazing how long it is when you are having a good time changing those diapers. They all do grow up but guess what you are going to have a zillion grandchildren; so look forward to more diaper changes.
Blessings for this fun one!

Unknown said...

Wow that's huge, congratulations! Also that's an insane amount of diapers.

Shell said...

Yay for finally being done! I was happy to have all of mine out of diapers!