Mar 7, 2021

Traveling as Two - Whitefish Bay

When I was a kid, my older brother introduced me to a Canadian artist named Gordon Lightfoot. He had lots of great songs, but my favorite was Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Maybe some of my fascination with the Great Lakes comes from there; I'm not sure. But I have to tell you that we have listened to that song at least a dozen times since we got here.

I told you that we visited most of the little bays up and down Door County, but one that we missed was Whitefish Bay. Now I know that it isn't the Whitefish Bay from the song because the freighter actually went down on Lake Superior in Canadian waters, but since the borders are closed, this is the closest Whitefish Bay I am going to find on this trip.

We drove around looking for someplace to get down to the water until we came upon a tiny break in the private beaches. It was just wide enough for a two-lane road and it ended with a tiny dock. Strangely, it had sort of a broken-down fabricated chair right beneath the Whitefish Bay sign. 

After some pics, I announced to my sweetie that I was going out on the dock. I expected him to protest, but instead he followed me as we made our way carefully through the crusted snow until we were standing over the rippling, green water.

It was our last night at Egg Harbor and we didn't want to miss anything. My sweetie decided we needed "just one more bay..." (he had been hearing that all week), so our final stop was Lily Bay. Once again, it was difficult to find our way through the private driveways so we could get near the water. Finally, we found a boat landing. 

It was sort of weird to think that we could just walk right down into that cold water. Not that we did...we got as close as we dared without actually getting our feet wet. 

Tomorrow we drive across Wisconsin to Michigan so that we can see Lake Superior.

This is why we came...

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I think it is so fun that you see the lakes and Bays. It looks like such a fun trip and not a lot of people, which is good. I love the photo of the two of you!
Hugs!