Nov 24, 2016

Scout's Swim Party

I've been so tired today. I didn't sleep well and my neck and shoulders were just aching when I got up so I took a muscle relaxant. That was probably a bad idea.

Today was Scout's 11th birthday and we had planned a party with her friends. She wanted to have a pool party, so my sweet neighbor, Lori, offered her indoor pool. We started at 2:30 and I was worried about attendance. All that Scout could remember was that so-and-so couldn't come... or somebody else was leaving town... We invited her entire school class of 27 and according to Gamer's count, we had about 25 there. That included the grandkids, of course, and a few from the neighborhood, but maybe having it the day before a holiday was a good idea.

For most of the 2 1/2 hours the kids stayed in the pool. I kept falling asleep in my deck chair. It's a good thing we had other adults around, because I wasn't a very good lifeguard. Bossy and the Dog Walker were in the water with the kids as was Sport.

It took about 10 minutes for them to each eat a cupcake and for Scout to open the gifts. Then they were right back in the pool and we couldn't hardly drag them out when their parents got there. Back at the house, Drama Queen was running the pie-making party. I think this is the first year in at least a dozen when I have not had to make a single pie crust.

Instead I have been working on piecing a quilt for Bossy and Gamer. We are having a quilting bee on Black Friday because shopping is not really my thing and my sweetie hates crowds. So since I have been sewing, I was thinking about just how grateful I am for my seam ripper.

*****************************

Gratitude Day #4. I wish I could say that I am the perfect seamstress, but that would be far from true. Even tonight when I was just piecing 9-patch squares, I sewed one of the pieces in upside down. It would have been possible to remove it with a pair of scissors, but much more difficult than running the seam ripper down and breaking all the overcast threads. Yes, today I am definitely grateful for my seam ripper. It's sort of like an eraser, but for sewing.

I'm sensing a theme here...



1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I loved that you could have a swimming birthday party. I am sure it was a huge hit. Sorry, you was too sleepy but at least I hope no pain.
I love that you had a helper to do the pie crusts. I gave up making homemade pies for Thanksgiving. Costco pies; here I come.
I simply don't know how you fit the sewing in; you are amazing. Sending love and hugs your way!