Mar 21, 2013

And Just Like That...

She was gone.

It took us until about 3:30 last night to finally separate and make our way to our bedrooms. Teach was OK to sleep in her room without me because Princess was there with her. After she was set apart as a missionary she had to have an adult with her constantly. Someone asked about that and I'm not sure why, but I do know that much of a mission is learning to be obedient.

We got up this morning before 7:00 because that is when Princess leaves for school. My sweetie made a family favorite, Belgian Waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. So after each person ate this amazing goodbye breakfast, he or she said farewell to Teach and headed off to school.

This kept most of us in tears for hours. Gamer brought over Taco and they got in line for hugs and waffles too. Then Bossy came later with Burrito. Her last three at the house were Curly, Dog Walker and Gym Rat. I don't think Curly understood why she was crying as he called goodbye over his shoulder and skipped out the door for preschool. The blessed ignorance of youth. Wish I had a little of that...

At 11:30 my sweetie, Teach, Baby Doll, and I climbed into the mini-van where the Dog Walker had already stowed all her luggage and we got on the freeway. The Mission Training Center is in Provo, about 45 minutes from our home. Teach will spend 13 days there before she will drive back through the Salt Lake Valley on her way to the airport to catch a flight to Ft. Worth, Texas.

Teach and Baby Doll sat in the back seat holding hands and snacking on the box lunch my sweetie made for them. They have gotten so close this past year! Other than me, Baby Doll will probably miss her the most. We drove to the parking lot of the Provo LDS Temple which is just across the road from the MTC. My sweetie snapped a few pics and we spent several minutes locked in each others' arms.

Then we made the way-too-short drive to the MTC. I was still a mess, but Teach had put on her happy/brave face and she was all smiles for the cute Elder who helped her with her bags. I asked him to please take care of her and he promised to for the rest of his life. So that got her off to a pretty good start.



My sweetie and I drove slowly away, past the long row of about 100 Elders waiting to carry bags and check in all the new missionaries. Teach disappeared inside a building, beginning this wonderful new chapter of her life. I will let you know when we get our first email from her. Somebody told me that could be as early as Saturday! I can hardly wait.

8 comments:

Natalie Ockey said...

The reason for the constant companionship is from the scriptures: "Where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name, there will I be also." Of course, there is also safety, both from others and from the idleness that comes from being alone.

~R

Natalie Ockey said...

Oh, also, in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus sends out his servants to serve in groups of 2.

~R

Anonymous said...

God's Blessings to Teach and to your family, the time will fly by, she is protected by the Lord, nothing but wonderful spiritual things will happen for her, she will return to your arms with great spiritual and living wisdom! Not many do the missions anymore I am told from many in the LDS community too much tugs to them and it is not teaching of their faith she is a blessed sweet human being from wonderful parents, a shining example to her siblings and loved and protected by the Lord, I am not of your faith but I see the men missionaries all the time in our neighborhood, I offer them food and hydration and listen to their teachings of your faith, they are young souls on fire for the Lord just like your daughter will be, groups of 2 or 3 keep all those who do their mission safe and out of harms way, thanks to God and the two or 3 others watching out for them! God Bless you, your blog tugged at my heart she will return home to you and yours sooner than you can wink your eye, I am praying daily for her entire mission and soon return to you and yours..ciao!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for Teach! She is amazing! I can't wait to hear some of her mission stories! I hope you plan on posting some about her mission on here! Your family is going to be so blessed! It is amazing how much having siblings on missions has blessed my family!

Becky and Steve said...

Right now it seems so far away...but it will fly by fast for you and for Teach. 2 of the girls that I had in YW are on missions as we speak and they are both due back home in July. I can't believe it has been about 18 months since they have left. It does go by fast. All the best for your family.

Emmy said...

Congrats!! so awesome that she is serving a mission and oh man I am sure I will be a total basket-case when I drop my kids off.

I am sure she will be an awesome missionary.

Thanks so much for linking up!

Shell said...

I hope you hear from her soon!

Kmama said...

It has to be so hard to say goodbye, but what an amazing experience for her. Thanks for linking up with Emmy and me.