Mar 18, 2013

Teach's Farewell

Parents
Siblings
My sweetie was up early finishing two huge pots of chili. I got up about 8:00 and worked on everything else...setting out cookies, cleaning the kitchen, that sort of thing. We got everyone else up about 9:00 and had all in place by the time we headed for the church at 10:30.
Boys

Silly us.
Teach did an awesome job greeting her friends and extended family and thanking them for coming. We sat on the second row in the chapel well away from our normal seat on the back row. Yeah, I was a little out of my comfort zone. But Teach played it like a pro. When it was her turn to speak she pulled it off beautifully. Her talk was about 20 minutes long and just let me say, she is much better under pressure than I am.

When the meeting was over, it took her about 20 minutes just to get out of the church. We finally asked one of her friends to bring her and we headed for the house. There were tons of people already here as we made our way through the front door. Within minutes the living room and entryway were so crowded I had to direct traffic just to allow more people in. I’m not kidding when I say that my estimate for our food plans of 100 people was met and exceeded!
Girls
Us.

For about 15 minutes it was totally crazy here! It was impossible to move from room to room, but people finally got through the food line and started moving into other rooms in the house and then it settled down. I don’t think we had this many people here at the same time even when Bossy was married. But that was outside so it was different anyway.

We had two 20-quart stockpots full of chili and 180 rolls. Now we have less than half of one pot of chili left and about 40 rolls. We went through lots of food but I think everyone was satisfied. We have one tray of our sugar cookies left and a couple of bags of cookies although I think the kids have done a pretty good job on them since we cleaned up.


It was a wonderful, crazy, awesome day! Teach’s friend, Bethany, agreed to take some family pics for us so we had a 20-minute photo session after everyone was gone. I thought you might like to see how crazy we are. It was a good day.










7 comments:

Liz Mays said...

That really WAS a wonderful day, but I'm floored at how much of that food you went through. Whoa!

Anonymous said...

Congrats upon a farewell for your daughter to remember and other family and many friends..The food sounded great, cookies yummy and the love that filled your hearts and home is so wonderful..I pray for many other families to embrace their kids and make them happy with their choices, your daughter will learn many things and be blessed by God for her mission on your church,she has great courage and faith..I don't see why other kids don't do what she does, in a philosophical manner..She is a credit to you mom and dad and your parenting and love of your faith, family...I read your blog daily and cannot get over how much time, love, discipline and patience you have given to each and everyone of your kids..It is truly remarkable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God's Blessings as your daughter takes her place on her church mission and I am praying you won't cry tooo much, it is hard to let one's child go out into this world, but God is with her and you and your hubs and family members and boom she will be back soon in the wink of an eye. Ciao!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

This looks like a wonderful celebration. I love that you had plenty of food to go around.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a wonderful farewell party. Keeping her in my thoughts and prayers. (you too mom) ((HUGS))

LeAnn said...

Wow, that was an awesome day. I know what it feels like to send children on missions. I think sending my daughter was the hardest of all. I am sure you are so excited for her and the fun has just begun. I loved their letters from them. You are lucky if you get to email now. However, I do know that the missionaries love a handwritten letter.
You had a wonderful celebration so enjoy those precious moments before you drop her at the curb.
Blessings, love and hugs!

LeAnn said...

You get two comments from me today. I couldn't get the comments to work on the interview. I just wanted you to know that I thought you were fantastic on the interview. You are amazing parents of 12 and I don't know how you do it. You seem like a really fun Mom. I am so not sure I was that fun.
Blessings and hugs!

Natalie Ockey said...

Sorry I couldn't make this event. It sounds like it went great! BTW, my favorite picture is easily number one-- the one with the dog trying to skulk out of the picture. That's the same look I always have on my face in pictures!

~R