Mar 17, 2013

Cookies and More Cookies

Drum roll, please...

(Here is a link just in case the box doesn't work on your computer. My sweetie says it won't work on his and I didn't want you to feel left out.)

 http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24431768&nid=1194

OK, as promised, here is me on TV. My kids assure me that I didn't do as badly as I thought I did, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet. Let me know what you think.









Tomorrow is Teach's last big party before she leaves on her mission for our church. She will speak during our meeting and then all of our family and friends will congregate here for a bowl of chili, a roll, and tons of cookies.

The girls spent the day baking sugar cookies and lemon bars and snickerdoodles. Yesterday Princess made oatmeal raisin and on Thursday she made chocolate chip. We have put together literally hundreds of cookies. There are about 150 shamrock sugar cookies alone! And our neighbors have been dropping by cookies as well. I didn't know that was going to happen. We live in such an amazing area!

I spent my day chasing around. Sport, Bean Dip, and Taco wanted to sell Scout-O-Rama tickets, so we were at the kick-off at 8:30 this morning. Between the three of them they had to sell 60 tickets for all of them to get the first day prizes. We still have a ticket or two to get rid of, but we cashed out their prizes at about 6:30, right before the 7:00 deadline.

Scout had her first softball practice and a parent meeting. She was eying me when they were asking for a volunteer for Team Mom, but honestly, I just don't have it in me. Besides, there were plenty of moms there who looked like they were planning to step up. Maybe next year.

The girls had rehearsal for the ballet from noon until about 4:00 and I made a couple of trips to the store picking up rolls and salad and last minute stuff. My sweetie cleaned the upstairs carpets, mopped and scrubbed the kitchen and got the chili mostly made.

Teach ended up working almost all day and got all teary when they presented her with a cake and a card. I wasn't surprised, she has been with Smiths for 5 1/2 years now. Everybody loves her and has watched her grow up. I can't believe how quickly life is changing for mostly her, but the rest of us too. I've heard from many of my friends that the separation from a missionary is terribly difficult. My across-the-street neighbor sent out her son in January and she said, "Be prepared to have your heart ripped out!"

When we drop her off on Wednesday it will be a hug and then I won't be able to talk to her until Mother's Day. At least that's coming up soon. She can email me once a week and write letters, of course. But then I won't be able to hear her voice again until Christmas.

I'm sure it's the right choice for her; she is so excited to go! I'm just going to have to figure out how to live without my heart for a while.

5 comments:

Natalie Ockey said...

I thought the guy was really nice to you, but I watched twice and I still don't really understand his question. Was he trying to get you to reveal something about you that your blogging friends know, but your closest friends don't? I think most close friends read your blog, don't they? Next time just give a random answer loosely pertaining to the subject: "You know, Jed, when you are raising 12 kids there are so many interesting adventures! Just the other day . . ."

No one would have even noticed.

Still, it's fun to be recognized on the news!

~R

Marci said...

Wow! What a big week at your house! I hope your party today went well and that you are able to enjoy soaking in your last few days with Teach. Mother's Day is just around the corner (I keep thinking about that since my due date is about 3 days after), so how exciting to have that phone call to look forward to!

Tell the girls that their shamrock cookies look delicious, I wish I could grab one through my screen, cookies sound really good right now!

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

I also thought the question was a little confusing... you did great though!
You and Teach are in my prayers tonight! Wishing her the best! =]

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Your house is a busy one!
Congrats on your interview...that's so exciting!

Natalie Ockey said...

I thought you did great and I actually liked that you just owned up that you didn't know what to say.

Sorry we missed saying goodbye to Teach today!