Apr 17, 2021

Didn't Need a Root Canal After All...

I've been having trouble with a tooth for a couple of weeks now. On Monday, I finally got into the dentist and after a couple of x-rays, he promptly sat me back up and announced that even though I already had a root canal in the offending tooth, I would have to see an endodontist so that it could be redone. I was so upset with his news that I actually cried all the way home. My life is so busy right now that I just didn't need the pain or the recovery time.

When I got home, I called my favorite endodontist and made the appointment for Friday. An antibiotic and carefully chewing on one side made this week more bearable, but I found myself looking forward to getting it all over with. 

This morning dawned bright and early and it wasn't long before I was sitting in the chair, nitrous blowing into my nose. Then  Dr. Thomsen came in and sat me up. I was already in the zone and I couldn't understand what he was saying at first...something about surgery and cutting into my gums... I pulled the nitrous off so I could follow more closely. Then I was wishing that I hadn't heard him at all. "Just put the nitrous back on and tell me everything when you are finished..."

An hour or so later, I was mostly awake, disoriented, and numb. Several stitches ran the length of my upper gum. It had been carefully sliced so that the doc could remove the abscess and cap the end of the root. I seem to remember him saying this option would be cheaper because we wouldn't have to replace the crown, but it would also be more painful.

I hoped he was wrong.

But it is after midnight now and he was definitely right. 

I'm afraid it is going to be a long night.😞

2 comments:

Dog-Walker said...

I hope that homemade Oreo milkshake helped you, Mom.

LeAnn said...

That surgery does sound awful. I'm sorry that you had to have it. Any mouth surgery is no fun at all.
Lots of blessings and hugs for you!