Nov 26, 2018

Scout's Birthday Adventure

Scout's 13th birthday was last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and instead of a big friend party, we shared a fun adventure! After stuffing a bunch of luggage and a cooler in the back of my car, we left the house around 8:00 AM and by 'we' I mean me, my sweetie, Scout, and Scout's friend, Alivia.

We had been planning this trip to Brighton Ski Resort for over a month and it was hard to believe it was finally here. It was a beautiful day and by the time we drove to the resort, there was a steady stream of cars following us up the mountain. It seems that everyone wanted to ski. Scout and Alivia had never been skiing before, so we had plans to put them in lessons while we chilled at the lodge. We finally got them all checked in and outfitted and at the ski school. They were both excited and nervous.


When we met them a couple of hours later for lunch, they quickly downed their sandwiches, made a few adjustments to their apparel, and headed back to the slopes. They had both advanced to the second class where they would learn to turn. It seemed like a good time to check on our lodging for the night.

It was just a short drive and within walking distance of the lifts. The lodge had a distinctively 70s feel, but it was warm and cozy and the suite had 2 bedrooms and a shared bathroom. It wasn't long before we were settled.


At 3:30, we pulled our boots back on and walked over to meet the girls. When we arrived at the ski school, we could see that the class was waiting at the bottom of the lift, so we picked a spot on the ridge overlooking them to take a couple of pictures. I reminded my sweetie that I wanted to get one of her actually on skis and not just on the lift.


We watched them hop off the lift at the top, and I pulled out my phone to get the camera ready. My sweetie called, "I see her!" and as I lifted my camera to take the shot, I saw her too, about 10 feet away and skiing right at me! My brain registered the danger and in that split second, I truly believed that my daughter would never plow me over, but choose a direction to the right or the left of me, so I stood my ground thinking it would ultimately be the safest spot.

I was wrong.


She totally chop-blocked me, taking me out at the knees and throwing us both to the ground. Thank goodness we were bundled up and landed on the semi-soft snow, although I definitely felt the aches and pains later that evening.


We played games and I read to my sweetie. This rustic lodge didn't even have TV. In the morning, we had 10" of snow on top of the car with more promised. As we drove home, the lone car traveling down the mountain against the steady stream of powder-seekers, the girls chattered about the next ski trip. I vowed to stay far away from the slopes until Scout learned how to turn... or stop...

... maybe both.

2 comments:

Rockey said...

Nice. This is my favorite post in a while. I wish I could have been there to belly laugh as I helped you up!

~R

LeAnn said...

Wow, that was an awesome adventure for a birthday gift! Sorry that she landed on you. It did look like a great day for all. So happy that you can do these individual things with your children. Hugs for all!