Dec 5, 2015

Surgery Updates

I thought you might be interested in updates on surgery for me and for Baby Doll. Let's start with her. She hates rinsing with salt water (so she is definitely NOT a mermaid - that's an Aquamarine reference for those of you who missed it). Her lip is healing well and it is not nearly as swollen as it was yesterday. She had big bruises on the outside and the skin cracked on her lip even with the special medicated chapstick, but Drama Queen carefully removed the damaged skin and she looks much better now. My guess is that she will heal much faster than I will even though her surgery was a week later.

I visited the doctor this week and he told me that I could do physical therapy if I wanted, but I didn't have to (I'm injured, not crazy!). He said that the bruising is some of the worst he has ever seen, but bruising is not uncommon in knee surgery. I was so surprised over the weekend when the black bruises started moving down my leg, eventually running all the way down into my foot. This morning when I got up, the other side was bruised as well. I'm sure sure where else it has to go so I'm hoping it will begin to dissipate.

My knee still aches, but mostly I can walk on it. I did set a few hits for my guys at volleyball on Tuesday since I didn't have to move much as the setter, and that was probably a bad idea. I'm anxious to get back to real life although I wore long pants today and that seemed to help (out of sight, out of mind, maybe?).

The doc did confirm that I had a large piece of cartilage that had been catching in the joint and making it lock up from time to time. He gladly removed it for me. I'm sharing with you the pictures of the inside of my knee just for fun. Honestly, I don't know how they really figure out anything in there. He did confirm arthritis (thanks!) and he suggested that my best answer is to lose weight.

Isn't that always the answer?



1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I will pray that the two of you will heal quickly. However, I don't think you should tackle volleyball at all for a while. I think you don't understand the word rest and heal. Of course, this time of year isn't a restful time of year. Please take care my dear friend and remember this is the nurse part of me. Blessings and hugs!