Dec 10, 2015

Making Candy

We had SOO much fun with our Activity Days group on Tuesday! Last year about this time I taught the girls to make fudge and I thought it might be fun to do something similar, but we couldn't decide exactly what. We finally settled on Drama Queen's zebra popcorn recipe, peppermint bark, and fudge.

I went to the store and picked up all the ingredients, but when I woke up Tuesday morning I decided it was ridiculous to teach them something we had already done. So I sent Drama Queen to scour the internet and find me another recipe that used similar ingredients since I had already purchased everything.

She found Mounds bars and they looked relatively easy for the kids to make. It was a matter of pouring sweetened condensed milk over flaked coconut, freezing it for 30 minutes and then dunking it in melted chocolate. It seemed like the perfect choice.

We started with these candy bars since they had to be frozen. I should have known when the coconut mixture was a little too gooey that this wasn't a good idea, but I forged ahead anyway. We finally got them into the freezer and started working on our other two yummy recipes that were tried and true.

It was more than 30 minutes when we finally got back to them, melted the chocolate, and tried to dunk them. Unfortunately they were not frozen nearly enough and as we dipped them into the liquid chocolate chips, they fell apart. The girls were all game to try, but we finally turned the task over to Crafty and she finished them up and put them back in the freezer.

Several hours later they were amazing! We all enjoyed our adventure in the kitchen, even if it didn't turn out quite the way we planned. It was a good reminder to me that I should never teach a recipe I haven't made before.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

That activity looks like so much fun! I loved working with children that age. Blessings for all you do with your callings!