Nov 18, 2012

Making Cars

You all know that my sweetie is the Cubmaster of his Cub Scout Pack and once a month we have to prepare a big to-do for the boys. November has become our new tradition for the Pinewood Derby. That means all the boys make little cars and then they race them.

So when I read in my Girl Scout book that we also had a woodworking badge, I thought maybe the girls would like to make cars too. And they did!

They all showed up at my house around 11:00 today. We ordered pizza and got started. After they drew their designs, my sweetie taught them to use the saw and the sander to shape their wood. My girls always want to make something that is totally not car-like. See Princess's Twinkie car? And Prima Donna turned hers into an ice cream truck.

Even Baby Doll got the chance to make her own car! She was so excited to paint it.

And now it's on to the Big Race...

5 comments:

kristine barr said...

I'm a den leader of the Wolves. I always thought the girls would like to make a car too.
did they race them at the Pinewood derby? Many family members use the cub's cars and race them unofficially after the real races here. It's a lot of fun.

Mom of 12 said...

Our Pack has about 22 boys so we aren't huge. We race a cub race and then we do one that is open class. The girls can race there, in fact, several of them are little sisters of the boys in our pack. We will definitely be seeing some of these cars again.
Sandy

Saimi said...

Oh my gosh I love the Pine Wood Derby! The funny thing is, is watching the dads get all competitive. Man this post brings back fun memories!

Marci said...

I was always upset that I couldn't participate when my brother did Pinewood Derbies. Our ward has a grand total of 2 cub scouts, and we combined with another ward who only has 3 cub scouts for the Pinewood Derby this year. After they determined a winner (it took about 4 minutes) everybody who was there was invited to take a turn. The leaders had brought extra cars and the cub scouts brought their old cars and everyone took turns, it was so much fun! I wish I had taken my Activity Day girls to that one so they could've raced some cars!

Andrea said...

my daughter is a Daisy this year and our local girl scout council had Pinewood Derby! She was so excited after watching her brother do it the last 2 years!