Apr 29, 2014

Letters from Teach in Texas

I got to echat with my amazing missionary daughter this morning. This was in her first email.

I love you so much! Things here are going so well. We are heading into the Texas heat though! It's crazy.

I've only heard rumors of the Texas heat, so it is hard to imagine it here in Utah. I think I told you that she is in a trio now. She and another Sister are training a brand new missionary. It has been hard for Teach because this sister is still remembering her pre-mission life. Teach is so far removed from us at this point that it seems she only thinks of us on Monday mornings, which is how it should be.

I sent her this message: "But they (meaning her siblings) are all so excited to have you back! Is it really only 3 1/2 months? We can soon start counting in weeks!"

Unfortunately, it didn't really make her happy. Her response was:


oh geez. bah! Mom. I don't even know how I feel about that! I can't decide if it is the most exciting thing ever- or if that is the most tragic thing because I'm leaving my mission.

I. love. my. mission.
It means everything to me. I wish I could just bring everyone I love into my mission but still live the life of complete consecration to the Lord while I'm enjoying the benefits of the family and friends. Ya know? I think I'm starting to realize how hard this transition might be.
 
I am just. unsure about it all. I know it will work out. My eggs are all in the basket called Trust the Lord.

She and the Dog Walker are doing a Book of Mormon challenge. I gave them each 6 copies with testimonies and pictures to see if they could place them all by Teach's birthday on June 2. When I asked her about the challenge, she told me this story.

I gave out one the other day to a man who was walking down the street outside our house. My companion and I saw him a couple weeks ago and didn't talk to him :( I felt SO guilty about it so when we saw him this week we went straightway to speak to him! My new companion made the initial contact. The man was going into the army the next week and he said he was Lutheran. But like... Martin Luther type Lutheran. He reads the Bible and interprets his own answers. It was pretty cool. So I asked him if he wanted a copy of the BOM and he said he would love one. So he has one. (: Such a cool experience. Other than that... I gave one to a member yesterday because he needed one to give to a friend and it was the only BOM I had on me. So now I have my third one in my purse. I haven't given out NEARLY as many. ALL of our investigators already have one because our members are SO fabulous!!! They give them a BOM before we ever get a chance to! Which is great. But it's different here. SO much member work. I love it with all of my heart. (:

I want to figure out how I can continue to consecrate all that I have and am to serving the Lord... even if my time as a full time missionary is limited.
I feel like since I've come to (this area) I have just bear-hugged my mission. I didn't realize how much I loved it until this area. It is the best thing for me right now.

Her final parting words?

Wow. Mom. The Lord is just so very good to me. So very good. (:

A mom couldn't ask for a better testimony than that.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

My goodness she is so on fire for the Lord and LDS church teachings. She is truly changed and I mean in the greatest sense of the word for GOD..He will guide her life after she comes home from her mission..Your son the Dog Walker will be changed too, it will reflect to their siblings too, what a wonderful daughter and son..How wonderful it will be only 3 1/2 months until you can hug and be with your beautiful inside and out daughter, her e-chats are amazing..I needed some boosting in faith for God and I got it reading your blog, keep up the prayerful nights and days, she will be home soon..God's continued blessings for Teach, Dog Walker and your entire family, ciaoX()