Apr 20, 2014

Easter Egg Hunts

I broke my own rule today. I actually took the kids to a community egg hunt. I know, I know, I've given you my rant on that before, but this time was different.Princess and Prima Donna are part of the Youth City Council as you know, and they were part of the committee assigned to set up the Easter Egg hunt.

It was already a busy morning. We woke up early to find the eggs hidden and the baskets filled with goodies. While the kids munched on chocolate and gathered up 10 dozen eggs (one egg is still missing!), my sweetie whipped up a batch of Belgian waffles with fresh strawberries.

By the time we finished eating, the girls had to change quickly and run out the door. About 20 minutes later, Princess sent the first of several texts, urging us to attend and participate. It didn't take much persuasion to get the kids ready and we arrived at the park in plenty of time to secure a good spot.

They had the kids split into groups based on age and Baby Doll was in the 3 to 4-year-old group. I left her with Princess, Prima Donna, and Crafty and hoofed it over to the 5 and 6-year-olds. Fajita and my sweetie were waiting patiently with him so I swung by the 9 and 10-year-olds. Taco and Sport were not waiting so patiently, but Bossy was with them so I knew they were in good hands. My last stop was the 7 and 8-year-olds where Drama Queen was coaching Burrito and Scout on which things to go for first and how to get the most candy possible.

That's where I remained when complete mayhem broke out! The hunt was on and in about 2 minutes it was all over. All of our kids had a gallon Ziploc bag about half full of goodies even after Sport gave a handful to two little kids that didn't get any. Burrito got two little stuffed footballs and he cheerfully handed one to Scout. I love that my kids and grandkids are so willing to share!

That's just the way we roll.

Bossy and Gamer set up our second egg hunt at our house. They have been giving that hunt to the family for 10 years now. I generally buy some of the candy and goodies, but Bossy does all the work stuffing the eggs and setting it up. This year she had help from Gamer and Drama Queen.

It was over in a couple of minutes too, with the kids gathering over a hundred plastic filled eggs, bubbles, and a handful of kites. The big girls got muffin tins too. There was even a kite for the Gym Rat! And we had something new this year...some of the plastic eggs had coins in them. Everyone was excited for that!

Once all the finding was over, Bossy gathered all the loot and proceeded to divide it up in sandwich bags for each person. We always make sure that everyone gets the same amount when it comes to egg hunts or pinatas, Halloween candy, stuff like that.

We had a fun day! Princess and my sweetie ran the "Bunny Roll" station and they helped the little kids roll out 9 cookie sheets worth. We had so many we gave a bunch of them away.

We played board games and watched the Prince of Egypt. Then we put away all the bunny decorations and the baskets. Tomorrow we will focus more on the real meaning of Easter.

And how was your celebration?






No comments: