Jan 8, 2014

Scout Calendar

Every year about this time I spend several days stewing over what activities to put on my Girl Scout calendar. I always make two, one in October that goes through December, and then one from January through the spring and summer.

Now that I'm in my 20th year of scouting, I think it's safe to admit that this is hard!!

I want the girls to have fun every year and learn new things, but sometimes coordinating projects and finding things that will appeal to everyone is much more difficult that you might think.

I usually pick a theme and then build the classes around that. This year I chose Health and Nutrition, then I pulled all the badge books on those two topics, then I narrowed them down to about 3. The girls get tired of hearing from me all the time, so I try to bring in professionals and community people that they might not have met before.

I'm actually really excited about what I've lined up this year, that's why I wanted to share it with you. We have this lady in our ward who is a professional baker and she is going to give the girls a class in her professional kitchen!

I also have a friend who does Mary Kay and she is willing to help the girls with facials and teach them about skin care. I have another friend who teaches Zumba and she is going to do a lesson. And last, but certainly not least, I convinced my friend at Curves to allow the girls to come in and use the circuit machines. We also have a bunch of healthy cooking planned including Princess's Oatmeal Banana Nut Muffins and her somewhat famous fruit smoothies.

I think this is the latest I have ever done my calendar. I usually have it completed during the holidays so I can pass it out before the kids go back to school. Maybe it's because I've been sick, but I just couldn't get my brain to help me fill in all the blanks. Thank goodness I finally settled on something that would work.

Oh, and hey, we start selling cookies next weekend... just thought you should know.


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Wow, you don't get any down time. I think your schedule of activities sounds great. I love that age of girls. One of my favorite classes was the activity day girls and it was hard sometimes to come up with good ideas.
Girl Scout cookie time, yum!
Blessings~