Jan 16, 2020

Go San Diego - San Diego Zoo Safari Park

After we got the kids off to school, my sweetie and I made a trip to the airport where we climbed on an airplane and flew to sunny southern California. My sweetie had a business trip and asked me to tag along. We love hanging out together and this opportunity seemed to fall into our laps.


We got off the plane in San Diego about noon and we drove straight to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. My sweetie had heard that the tram around the savannah was the best part. The park was quiet and we were able to park close, but still, the walking was hard on my foot.

See that big smile on is face?
That's because the guy at Hertz convinced him to upgrade to the BMW...
We stopped for lunch at the Oasis Cafe and had a sandwich (although I thought $13 was a little high-priced for a grilled cheese and some chips). The map was difficult to follow and we kept getting lost, but at each turn in the road there were fun things to see, so it was all good. We just didn't want to miss the last tram since the trip took nearly 30 minutes.


We finally got to the little tram station about 3:30. My sweetie loved seeing all the different animals. The giraffes were right up close to us. The others were down in this deep bowl-shaped area. I was surprised, but guess I shouldn't have been, with how the animals were each off in their own groups. I think I was expecting the "waterhole" where they are all hanging out together, but that isn't very realistic, I suppose.



After we got off the tram, we starting walking back to the entrance, carefully avoiding the "Bats" area. (Have I told you about my issues with bats?) We only got lost once and that was only for a minute.

The flamingos pic is for you, Twizlet! I know you love them. I have a little video for you when I get home.


My sweetie wanted to make sure we wandered past the elephants and rhinos on our way out, so we were going a different direction. We left the park just as they were getting ready to close, but it was fun and I'm glad we made the effort to get there even though my foot was definitely complaining.



As we drove toward our hotel, we started looking for a grocery store. Since we had a mini-fridge and I would be without a vehicle, my sweetie wanted to make sure I had supplies.

After stocking up, we finally got to our room where we shared deli fried chicken, rolls, and fresh fruits and veggies. Since Utah is an hour later than here, my sweetie went to bed early and even I managed to turn off the lights around midnight.

After today, we get to play until we climb back on that airplane that will take us home on Tuesday morning. Lots of fun things to do here. It's hard to choose!

No comments: