Apr 11, 2019

Making the Dress

Tonight Crafty and Scout had a Young Women activity about temples. As part of that activity, they invited people to send in their wedding dresses or memorabilia from their weddings. Bossy sent over her dress and some other things from her original wedding and then for her sealing.

I sent my cake topper and bouquet. They were the only things quickly accessible. I rented my wedding dress and veil. I remember driving to Provo to pick one out. It cost us $75 for the day of pictures and the day of the wedding. There have been a few times I wish I would have been able to show it to my daughters, but most of the time I'm just glad I don't have to keep moving it around.                                                                                         

Bossy's is the one on the right with the blue lace.

I made Bossy's wedding dress, but none of the other girls wanted to do it that way. Princess bought hers on the internet for $100 and then we had to make a shrug to go over it. Teach bought hers from a friend and if I remember right, she paid about $300 for it.

Wedding dresses are a funny thing. We spend all that time dreaming about them and planning for the big day, but the dress will only be worn once, maybe twice. It's hard to justify that sort of expense when you are young and have essentially nothing. That said, I wish I would have tried a little harder to convince my girls to let me make their dresses. I haven't made a formal dress since Princess was a sophomore in 2012.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I enjoyed reading this post on wedding dresses. My mother made mine. She was a beautiful seamstress. She made a detachable train, and I was able to wear it as a temple dress for a while until I outgrew it. It is now in my cedar chest and turned yellow which makes me sad. My oldest daughter's bought their dresses, and then my youngest wore the oldest daughter's dress after being altered a little bit. I then had then professional stored and still have them. I hope they stay white.
Wedding dresses to have a story and this was a fun one.
Big hugs for all!