May 5, 2016

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

I love watching my kids play ball, but I have to admit that sometimes I just can't stand the stress. Like tonight, for instance. I had already had a crazy evening. It culminated at the Senior/Mom Relief Society dinner with Prima Donna. They had technical difficulties with the projector and by the time everything was said and done, I was almost half an hour late for Sport's baseball game.

He was playing first base as usual and did a fine job. They retired the side and he came up to bat. He smashed a great hit to left field. It was nice to see him really lay into one. The second time he was up, the pitcher hit him in the back with the ball. I was already a little too edgy for that kind of excitement.

The team went back out into the field for the final inning with a tied game and 4 minutes left to play before time expired. I won't give you the particulars, but their team scored two runs and I was ready to go home. My sweetie suggested that I could, but you know me, I was glued to the bleachers while we had our last at bats.

Can you believe it? We actually scored 3 runs without getting a single out and the boys won the game, 10 - 9. I was really glad I stayed, because the way things had been going, I was expecting to come away with a loss. Honestly, I don't care that much about winning for myself, but the kids do. When you're 12, an overthrow to second base in the top of the last inning that let's a run in when the game is tied...

... let's just say my life was much easier tonight because they came out on top.



1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Oh how I used to love to watch my third son play baseball. He was such a good player and I would be glued to my seat. I would be a nervous wreak at points during the games. My Dad was a town baseball coach for years while I was growing up so I was almost raised on a baseball field. Loved that your son won and that you stayed.
I am assured that your RS function was sweet too. Hugs!