May 26, 2016

Reconnecting with Old Friends

When I was a kid, I had two best friends. They were twins and even though they were a year older than me in school, we were very close. Both girls were tall and we played basketball together on the high school team. They were both much better than me, of course, and they continued to play even after I turned my sights to bigger and more important things.

I loved their family. They had 12 kids and two sets of twins, my friends being older and their twin brothers being the babies of the family. At the time, I never really thought about the fact that maybe somewhere in my heart of hearts, I wanted to be just like them.

Their parents were very conservative, but also very kind and loving. My family always seemed to be so volatile, yet their family rarely yelled and they clearly got along when working or playing, and it sure seemed like they did a lot of working!

I haven't heard much from them since I turned 18, got married, and left my hometown, that is until this week. Their older brother passed away suddenly and he was only 53. I remember having a crush on this guy as a silly impressionable little girl. Like his dad, he was kind and patient, even with the obnoxious little neighbor girl. He played basketball too, which gave us all something in common.

I don't know about you guys, but I find myself dwelling on the past when something like this interrupts my normally crazy world. And this situation is so much more difficult for me because not only do I remember what we did as children, I grieve for his sweet parents, both still living and at or near their 90s.

Having 12 amazing children myself, I can't imagine the heartache of losing one of them. Even knowing that families are eternal, that separation...I just don't know if I could bear it.

And I think of his poor wife, waking up to find her husband gone, just like that. Her world must be upside down and backwards. Please everyone, pray for the Squire Family. I believe in the power of prayer and the comforting warmth it can bring to those in need.

And if you have time, slip in a little one for me too...



1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Your friends and you too will be in my prayers. I have lost some friends so I can relate on how it affects you. It does bring back memories and then grief comes. Having time to reflect and shed some tears is healthy and good. So thankful the Plan of Salvation but we are to morurn with this that mourn. Sending prayers and loving thoughts your way. Hugs for you dear friend~