Widgets Magazine

Sep 25, 2015

One of Those Days

Today was one of those days. You know, when everything starts out badly. I blamed Prima Donna, but it probably wasn't really her fault. She did keep me up until about 2:30 AM reading a play that likely would have put her to sleep if she hadn't been reading it aloud.

I had already had a long day that culminated in 4 hours at the church, 3 playing volleyball and the other in clean up/set up. Since my sweetie was out of town, it meant early mornings too and you know how I feel about those.

I don't know what I did, but somehow, the alarms never went off this morning. I woke up at 8:24. My little ones were due at the elementary school at 8:25. Curly immediately went into meltdown to the point where he had to use his inhaler. Scout was more stoic; she is used to being late.

Thank goodness it was Friday. That meant Crafty and Sport had an hour, but Prima Donna was still snoozing and she was also supposed to be in her seminary class at 8:25. Princess and Drama Queen were long gone for school. I quickly called the Dog Walker who had to catch his train at 9:00 as I pulled on my clothes. He had 15 minutes to the train station.

I handed Curly and Scout each a protein bar as we headed out the door. We pulled up in front of the elementary school at 8:37. Curly was still upset and hustled to the front doors, although my heart swelled with gratitude when he pulled open the doors and then waited for another boy and his dad to pass through before he hurried inside. Scout gave me a kiss and climbed out of the van. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon occurrence for her.

When I got back to the house, the Dog Walker had returned from the train station. He missed his train because he couldn't find his pass. He was stirring through couch cushions and dirty laundry, anywhere he could think of. Finally I convinced him he would have to drive to school and park in the free lot and he'd better get going or he would miss class.

Crafty was helping Baby Doll get ready for preschool and by 10:00 I had dropped Crafty and Sport at the middle school, Baby Doll at preschool, and I was trying to decide if I should go to Curves. My good sense won out and I headed for home and crawled back in bed.

An hour later, my cell phone rang. It was my sweetie asking me something about cornstalks. In my confusion, I'm not sure what I said, but 30 seconds later he came through the front door, 12 hours early! I was so happy to see him! They had finished up and caught an earlier flight. Now maybe my life (or at least my mornings) can get back to normal.


Denise said...

prayers, love and hugs

LeAnn said...

Oh, this brought back some memories of days just like this but with less children to get places. I love that you hubby got home early. My husband used to travel a lot so I remember some sweet moments like this.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...