Widgets Magazine

Sep 8, 2015

Finshing Up Labor Day

We did way too much partying yesterday. It made it a little hard to get out of bed this morning for school, but we finally managed.

Bossy called me on Monday morning and they wanted to go fishing. It wasn't how we had planned to spend our day, but Sport was in need of the Fishing Merit Badge, and we had not solidified our plans yet, so we packed a picnic and joined them at Utah Lake. Well, not really Utah Lake, down on one of the rivers leading out of it.

Gamer was so patient teaching the kids to fish and helping Sport with his merit badge even though at first Sport was less than enthusiastic, that is until he caught his first fish. Then he was happy to sit there until he had caught and released 3 of them.

After that, my sweetie got this crazy idea that they could work on the Cycling Merit Badge and he would ride with Curly and Sport until they had gone 10 miles and we could pick them up. My boys have never ridden that far before, but they headed out. Some of the other kids were disappointed because we only had scooters for them, so Bossy arranged for them to have their own little ride across the park. When they were finished, we gathered up our picnic stuff and drove to the fruit stand for a box of peaches.

By then it was time to meet them. I have to admit to being a little surprised that my 7-year-old was up to the task! We piled them into the van and drove the rest of the way home. We arrived just before 6:00 and it was about then that my sweetie and I decided we still wanted to try to do what we had planned for the day.

I ran to the store for a couple of things, Dog Walker rummaged through the garage and found the rafts and life jackets, and Bossy packed the rest of what we needed for our 2nd picnic. Honestly, we were reloaded and back out the door in less than 30 minutes. We had to be! The reservoir we were at on Sunday night closed at 9:00 and it was a 20-minute drive.

We arrived just before 7:00. Gamer and Fajita were already there and had found us a place to set up. My sweetie and I immediately started putting together dinner on our little grill, nothing fancy, just hamburgers, along with chips, and watermelon (we forgot to bring plates!). Dog Walker, Gamer, and Bossy worked on the rafts and before 7:30, they were out on the lake.

Did I forget to mention that we were also looking at finishing the Rowing Merit Badge? Sport had earned all of it at Scout Camp this summer except that he had been unable to go out on the lake because of lightning. He was disappointed and we didn't want his hard work to not be completed.

If you remember, we bought these little rafts on a good sale when the Dog Walker was earning his Rowing Merit Badge and they still did a fabulous job. Bossy rowed the little kids out to the middle of the lake and Fajita was a good sport, helping Sport bring in the "swimmer."

Would you believe we were cleaned up, had everybody fed and back in the vans before 8:30? It was not the leisurely trip we were originally planning, but it was a beautiful ending to a fun family day.

And besides, it was getting cold.


LeAnn said...

Oh my gosh how you manage to put so much into one day; is amazing. I am happy you had an exciting day. Hugs~

Denise said...

such an awesome family, will you adopt me?? lol


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...