Jun 9, 2015

With Curly at the Zoo

Curly's class had a field trip today to the zoo. I couldn't decide what to do because it was Baby Doll's last dance class before the recital on Saturday and I didn't want her to miss, so I didn't sign up to be a chaperone. Curly was disappointed, but he took it in stride. Then yesterday, Drama Queen and I were talking and she was totally fine with doing the dance class and she encouraged me to share this last field trip of the school year with Curly.

I knew from his teacher's mass emails what the plans were, and the parents were just car pooling up from the school and meeting the buses at the zoo. I could do that.

So I did.

Curly was totally surprised when I stepped up behind him and took his hand, but his huge smile was worth all the trouble! The mom chaperone for his group was totally fine with me just taking him, so we headed off on our own.

This was the first time I had really seen the Savannah exhibit, and it was fun to see the giraffes and zebras in a more natural habitat. Curly was tired and as you can see; he enjoyed the sleeping exhibits the best. Just kidding...

We hung out and wandered around and he pulled my phone out every 5 minutes to see if it was lunchtime yet. I told him we would eat at 11:30 and he was super annoyed that I was talking to Bossy on the phone when the clock rolled over to 11:30. 

He wanted to go back to the pavilion and eat lunch at a table, so we hiked back up there and found the perfect spot. We had a chance to talk and laugh and share Tootsie Rolls. (Not really, he ate most of them himself!)

We rode the train and wandered through the gift shop, just enjoying being together. At 1:20, I turned him back over to his teacher and made the long drive home by myself... after I bought a year-long zoo pass. I need more time like this with my kids, before they grow up too fast.











4 comments:

LeAnn said...

I think it is awesome that you could go to the Zoo field trip with Curly. I can just imagine how much fun he had with you and the memory that it created. Hugs for you both!

Marci said...

That sounds like the perfect trip to the zoo! Love that you were able to make it work for you to surprise him there!

Natalie Ockey said...

A special day just with Curly--that is awesome! And we love the zoo. We have a pass every year!

mommeeof10 said...

It is a long drive to the DC zoo, but admission is free, as it is part of the Smithsonian. Parking the last time I drove there was $8 for 2 hours and $2 an hour after that.
My kids like the Ross Park Zoo in Binghamton, NY. That is, they like the early 1900's Wooden Carousel, which is free. http://www.visitbinghamton.org/wp-content/uploads/carousels.pdf Unfortunately the Wurlitzer band organ at the zoo carousel was being repaired the last time we were there, so we got to listen to a cd they burned of music from another carousel.