Nov 12, 2022

Do You Know What SASH Means?

A ribbon that goes around a dress, right? Or maybe the piece of fabric a scout attaches all their awards on... well, I recently learned another meaning that you probably don't know.
 

Three times a day, 8:00am, 4:00pm, and midnight, I pull this page out to help me remember the order for my sweetie's infusion. 

First, I pull out the antibiotics (they are the A).


Saline goes two places and the H stands for Heparin, a blood thinner to make sure the PICC line doesn't stop working.

After everything is laid out, I scrub my hands and then pull on my disposable gloves.



Everything requires an alchol prep to keep things mostly sterile.


Saline first. Then it's time for the specially-made just for my sweetie antibiotics. 


I have to take at least 3 minutes and no more than 5 to push them through. I count to 20 or sing the ABC song as the plunger passes each measured line. Saline, Heparin, then a little green cap; one more done as we slowly crawl toward December 2nd and hopefully, the very last syringe. 


I don't need the words anymore, but the SASH board gives me comfort and security. This is something I just can't mess up.

No comments: