Sep 10, 2014

Guest Blog: Homesick for Texas by Teach

Don't get me wrong I love Utah.

But I miss Texas.

I've been home from my LDS mission for almost three weeks now and it is good to be back with my family, good to see the mountains, and fun to watch Frozen for the first time. Yet, I miss the joy of being a missionary. I love being a missionary.

I'll give you my top 10 favorite things about serving a mission and being a missionary.

1. Having a purpose- It is so wonderful to know that everything you do everyday reflects back to your desire to invite others to come unto Christ. If it doesn't help you fulfill your purpose it is not worth your time or the Lord's time.

2. Uninterrupted studies! We would study the scriptures for 2 hours every day with absolutely nothing better to do.

3. Meeting new people- If you have ever seen missionaries... they probably talked to you. That is what we do. We talk to everyone and I met some amazing (and crazy) people in Texas!

4. Structure, schedule, and a rulebook- This is one of those things you don't realize how much you loved it until it is gone. I was in bed by 10:30 every night and up by 6:30. We had a list of what we could and couldn't do. Real life is so tricky because you just have to... follow the Spirit on a lot of things! I also have to remember that if I do something against mission standards now, it isn't a sin because I'm no longer a missionary.

5. SERVICE! I loved doing service and that is something I can still do here. So it's all good! (:

6. Texas pride-This is a real thing. There is so much pride to be a Texan. Like, they have rocks shaped like Texas used as stepping stones in their front lawn. Utah couldn't get away with this, but Texas can. (: I almost bought a Texas flag wallet, but it was $42.
7. Singing in the shower- I never used to be a shower singer, but I would sing hymns every morning and see how many hymns I had memorized. It became one of my favorite times of day. I still do this, although it probably annoys my family! (:

8. Being with other missionaries- I love missionaries. I didn't realize it at the time, but there is an extremely special spirit around those that are called to serve the Lord. I miss being surrounded by them.

9. Hearing the voice of the Lord on behalf of others- I loved when I was sitting in a lesson and the investigator was just hurting, and you could see the need for the gospel in their lives and the Spirit would whisper to you exactly what they needed and then I had the authority to extend that invitation with the confidence that the blessings I pronounced upon them according to their faithfulness were from the Lord. That is a humbling and powerful moment. I cherish those memories.

10. Relying on the Lord for everything- He became my rock. Christ became my salvation and my song. I love Him. I know Him and it is because of Him that we can truly be saved. It is because of His grace and mercy that we can be forgiven and return to our Father in Heaven. I know that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ.

My family has been such a support to me while serving a mission. It was one of the hardest and most terrifying things I've ever done. But as the First Presidency says in Preach My Gospel, "More joy and happiness then you have yet felt in your life can be yours as you labor with love among God's children." I have found so much joy. I love Texas. I love being a missionary and I look forward to continued opportunities to serve my God.


2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Teach this was such a lovely post. I can tell you were a dedicated and great missionary. I loved all of your thoughts. It is hard when a mission ends but your life mission is going to be just as wonderful in different ways. You are now prepared better than ever to fulfill your divine path.
Blessings to you dear girl and I do hope to meet you and your family sometimes. I just love following your Mom's blog.
Blessings and hugs for you!

Shell said...

It sounds like you had such an amazing experience! Maybe it's something you could do again someday.