Aug 30, 2011

First Day of School

Princess
I have dreaded August 29th all summer. It’s the day the big kids all go back to school. That means several things to me…if Baby Doll needs a diaper change or a shower, there is no one here to do it but me. If Curly wants a glass of milk or someone to button his shirt, there is no one to help him but me. If Scout doesn’t want to do her job, the only one around to encourage her and play silly games until the task is done is…you guessed it…me.

I have to figure out lunch, make lunch, and then clean up lunch. But the worst part is that if I have an errand, I have to pack up all four kids (remember, I still watch Burrito during the day) under the age of five and take them with me. No, wait, that’s not the worst part. The worst part is now I have to get up EARLY! That means I have to spend less time on my computer hanging out with you, my bloggy friends.

Prima Donna
On the up side, I get to answer the phone when it rings. I also get to go through my mail before anyone else rifles through it. I can turn off the music without offending anyone. And instead of making lunch for eleven, I only have to serve 5, and they don’t eat much…except for ketchup. They smother everything in ketchup…

I’m not sure how I managed to plan so poorly, but Scout had a dentist appointment today and they were supposed to fill two “little” cavities. They also assured me that she would be able to go to school without a problem. So I dragged my four under the age of five to the dentist’s office. Burrito, Curly, Baby Doll and I sat in the front lobby for over an hour. When Scout finally came out she was terribly upset. The dentist told me that the filling was much deeper than he thought and she ended up with a shiny silver crown. She was inconsolable. Even the vampire teeth she got for a prize and me calling her Princess now that she had a silver crown didn’t help.

Sport and Crafty
Dog Walker
I called the carpool before I even left the building, then the school. No, she wouldn’t be going to school today. She sobbed all the way home. By the time I herded them all in the house, she was wailing. She never wanted to go to the dentist again! How could I do this to her? This went on and on for over half an hour. I somewhat calmly tried to feed the boys lunch and make her comfortable. She refused medicine the first two times, then I got the baby Tylenol out and “insisted.”

Scout
About 20 minutes later she started feeling a little better. Maybe it wasn’t the end of the world after all. I was starting to feel a little better too. Maybe it was that Ibuprofen I swallowed somewhere in the middle of the screaming. I think my head hurt more than hers. I snuggled with Baby Doll on the couch as they rode their scooters round and round the circle made by the living room and the kitchen. I even got to doze off a little as long as I kept one eye open.

I’m glad this day only comes once a year, even though I was able to walk to the mailbox all by myself. With all the chaos, I only had time to toss the pile on the counter anyway. It’s probably still there…hmmmm. See ya tomorrow…I got mail!

7 comments:

Emma Frances said...

Your first day of school was MUCH more eventful than mine! Good luck with the school year!! :)

Jaclyn M said...

always fun! Thank goodness it is over!

Chell said...

Hope you have a better second day of school!

Natalie Ockey said...

I can't imagine trying to juggle everyone like you do! You are amazing.

Emmy said...

Oh the dentist is really such a necessary evil. Hope tomorrow goes better

mCat said...

I'm enjoying all the exploits of everyone in blog land about the first day of school, and evily laughing that I don't have to worry about it anymore! Love my life

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That has to be a big change for you. The back to school pictures are cute! I hope the rest of the school year isn't as eventful as the first day!