Oct 19, 2016

Reading with Grandma

Remember a couple of weeks ago when my sweetie painted his mom's house? Well, he felt like there were a couple of things left undone, so on Sunday right after church, we headed south. It's a couple of hours to his mom's house and one of the things I love to do in the car is read to the kids.

Last week I got an email from MC Steve asking me if I would review his latest Diary of a Wimpy Zombie in exchange for a free copy of the book. It's not very long, and just perfect for a car trip. The kids loved the idea of a Zombie (who was normal) with a human friend who was strange. Apparently it is based on the Minecraft world, so the kids understood some stuff much quicker than I did, but there were plenty of fun and interesting things in there even without a knowledge of the game. If you are looking for a quick Halloween-type read, I definitely recommend this one. Even my sweetie enjoyed it!

But I digress...

It was about 4:30 when we arrived in Mt. Pleasant and there was plenty of time for my sweetie to accomplish his small tasks. He put the numbers back on the house, added a slip-proof fabric to the front door step, and replaced the screens. My kids washed windows and helped me with dinner.

After we finished our Navajo tacos and evening had turned to dark, we went back inside to clean up and get ready to hit the road. Just as we were thinking to load the van, Grandma offered to read a story to Baby Doll. As it turned out, we all sat with her and enjoyed several stories.

Reading is so important! There was a period during my childhood when books were my whole world. Slipping into the reality of others made my own life much more enjoyable and inspired me to earn my BA in English and my MA in Literature. (It's probably the reason I write this blog every day.)

As I glanced around the circle of so many of my sweet children (many of them now grownups) being attentive and supportive of a simple children's story from their Grandma, I was so grateful to be passing that tradition along to another generation.

Now go read a book to a kid!
Please. :)

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

This was such a sweet post! I love to read too and especially love to read to my grandchildren when I can. Hugs for all~