Mar 13, 2014

Four Little Wires

I woke up about 4:00 this morning. My finger was stinging and throbbing. I washed down another pain pill and waited for the aching to stop. It didn't. I pulled the blankets up tight and rolled over, willing myself to go back to sleep. By 4:30, I reached for the second pain pill. That was the absolute limit, but the pain was not subsiding at all and I was desperate for a little bit of sleep. By 5:00, my sweetie was awake too. His sugars had dropped to a dangerous 62, so now we could be sick together.

He started chewing on a banana and I began pacing. I wasn't really expecting it to help, but nothing else had worked and I was desperate. I wrapped my injured hand around my shoulder and began moving faster. Maybe this was helping after all. It was amazing how many things were better with a little exercise.

Just before 6:00 I crawled back into bed. My sweetie was getting up to help the kids get ready for school. Maybe I could finally get some rest.

See those four wires poking out the end??
By 7:30 I was awake again. I called my doctor and left a message. I'd never make it through the weekend at this rate. I'd be out of pain pills by the end of the day. A little later the nurse called me back and suggested I come in and have the bandages loosened.

When I arrived at the designated time, not only were they loosened, but they were changed completely. The doc said no signs of infection, but just to be safe, he started over. I snapped a quick (and disgusting!) picture for you. Out of curiosity, I asked, "On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the worst, how bad did I mess up this finger anyway?" He thought for a moment. "About 8!" he suggested.

You know me, if I do something, I'm going to do it right!

He also offered my first glimpse at the healing process, which will likely be about 5 weeks before they remove the wires.

It's a good thing basketball season is over...

...one of those little wires might pop my good ball!

3 comments:

Denise said...

Praying for you, and your hubby. I am a type 1 diabetic, totally understand about those low blood sugars.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your finger to get healed and quickly..Sorry your hubs is a diabetic I am too, I always keep bananas in our home and I watch not to get upset, I just let it all go to the Lord and pray for patience..Soon you will feel better..God's Blessings to you..Your daughter will be home soon, I am sure she would be spoiling you a lot!

LeAnn said...

Yes, I am so glad basketball season is over. I would hope you wouldn't play on these conditions.
You two need prayers; so I will send them.
I do hope this heals quickly; I can tell you are not one to slow down. I think you should slow down however.
Blessings, prayers and hugs!