Oct 14, 2011

Food for Thought - Peach Cobbler

Around the middle of August every year, my sweetie goes through a strange transformation…he becomes a Peach Monster! That means that pretty much every Friday, we have to make a Peach Run. He and Curly even have a silly song they made up that we have to sing each time we head out.

“We’re going on a Peach Run!
We’re going on a Peach Run!
A happy happy Peach Run
A yummy yummy Peach Run!”

Then we drive for 40 minutes to hit our favorite fruit stand and buy whatever peaches they have available. I think we started this year with Suncrests, then Suncrest Elbertas, then Lemon Elbertas (my sweetie’s personal favorite), then Angelus (nobody’s favorite!) and finally this week it was O’Henrys.

And we aren’t happy unless we have a 40-lb box of peaches. (And that doesn't count the 60 or so quarts of peaches we put in jars for the winter...). Usually my family can eat a box of peaches in a week, but sometimes like with the Angelus, we have to come up with an alternate plan. Other than peaches and oatmeal, our second favorite way to each peaches is my MIL’s recipe for Peach Cobbler. I have to tell you that we 3X this recipe and I love it with vanilla ice cream while my sweetie prefers freshly whipped cream. Either way, it’s delicious!


Peach Cobbler

Mix together:
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt



Add:
¼ cup soft margarine
½ cup milk

Beat until smooth.



Combine in saucepan:
¼ cup sugar
 ¼ cup brown sugar
1 TBSP cornstarch

Add: ½ cup water

Cook until thick, then add 1 TBSP lemon juice.



Place 3 cups sliced peaches in 8 X 8 pan, put in sauce, and top with dough.



Bake at 375 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes.  Serve with half-and-half, cream or ice cream.





10 comments:

Amanda said...

drool. this looks SCRUMPTIOUS!

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

I don't really like cobblers but this looks delicious!!!

Dog-Walker said...

Get Dibs on the Crust!

marie said...

Just found your blog. 12!!!! wow, I will keep up with you just to see how you do it all. And cobblers are my absolute favorite dessert.

Natalie Ockey said...

We love peach cobbler, too! I will have to try this recipe.
Thanks.

Sant Family said...

I miss two things about the Northwest living out here in South La. One is fall. The second is peaches. Yeah, they grow in Georgia, but by the time we get them ... well, there's nothing like an Elberta peach!

I'm glad you enjoy them!

Shell said...

Wow, does this look good!

his little lady said...

love me some peach cobler. i was going to make some the other day but all of my peaches went bad already. dang. i'll just admire yours from afar!
xo TJ

Lourie said...

Who wouldn't love that!? And it looks pretty easy to make. Yum.

Elle said...

I can't bring myself to read this post... I scrolled down, saw the picture and my stomach practically jumped up my throat and onto the screen to try and sample this delicious sight... I am too hungry and craving naughty things to read... but well done for getting your bake on :)