Jul 15, 2011

Food for Thought - No Bakes Cookies


One of our absolutely most favorite quick recipes is No Bakes Cookies. My sweetie calls them healthy oatmeal breakfast bars, so we can eat them in the morning if we have to. Princess is the resident cookie maker here and she has this recipe memorized. One day she mentioned to Grandpa that she could make them with her eyes closed!

My mom made them on rare occasion when we were kids, but she always cooked them on the stove since we didn’t own a microwave. So when we got our own microwave, I messed around with the recipe until they came out just right. Some people like to add peanut butter, but my sweetie doesn’t like that extra dose of protein. Hope you like them!

No Bakes Cookies

½ cup margarine                       
2 cups sugar
3 tbsp cocoa                           
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla                           
1 cup coconut
3 cups oatmeal

Melt margarine in 3-quart microwave-safe bowl.  Stir in sugars, cocoa, and milk.

Microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes.  Stir.  Repeat, then repeat again. 

Stir in vanilla, then coconut, then oatmeal. 

Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.

7 comments:

Natalie Ockey said...

I'm glad you changed the name of these. Calling them "cookies" is a gross miscarriage of justice. They are more akin to chocolately rice krispy squares.

~R

Sant Family said...

No bakes are my favorite! I made them last night, even! I like the peanut butter but pass on the coconut.

I also love the Special K bars smashed down with the sugary stuff and melted chocolate and butterscotch chips on top?

Both whole grains and healthy breakfast options!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

These sound yummy. Thanks!

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Sounds delicious...can I use butter...we do not "do" margarine in our house.

Have a great weekend.

PRINCESS said...

Yeah, I don"t even use margarine even though I"m supposed to, maybe that's why mine or so good ;)

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

These are my absolute favorite cookies ever. My mama used to make them for me once in a while and even though I have watched her do it and know she's given me the right recipe, mine just never taste quite as good as hers. Her tuna salad always tastes better than mine too. =]

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

My husband is obsessed with these! I'm totally gonna make them for them and get Wife of the Year award. :) Thanks for the recipe!