Oct 22, 2016

Breaking Jars

I really can't take much credit for our day of canning. I was mostly rearranging the basement in the morning and my bedroom and the office in the evening, but in between I did do all the processing. With a little help from my sweetie, I also got a pot of tomato sauce on the stove although it's going to have to wait until tomorrow to finish.

Bossy made 28 quarts of green enchilada sauce except that when I was taking them out of the canner I dropped one on the floor. It was almost like slow motion watching that bottle fall and explode and there was nothing I could do about it. Boiling sauce and glass were everywhere. Thankfully none of the kids were here although they would probably have enjoyed the action.


It took a bunch of paper towels to sop everything up and get rid of the glass. I'm still not 100% sure I won't find a little piece with my bare feet.

The second batch came out fine and then I put in the two little pint jars of beans Bossy made for Princess and The Frog. They pressured for their 20 minutes and didn't even slip into the red zone, but sure enough, when I opened the canner, one of the jars was broken.

Fortunately, the grape jelly came out beautifully and the kids have already devoured nearly a quart of it.
I will have to make the rest tomorrow after the football games. It is actually the last Saturday for league games and next week we get to start the playoffs. Where has the season gone?

And what happened to the month of October?

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Good question; what did happen to the month of October. I did love seeing the photos of all your hard work. Sorry you lost a couple of bottles. Blessings and hugs!