Apr 28, 2011

Food for Thought: Amish Friendship Bread

I was introduced to Amish Friendship Bread by the same friend who gave me the sourdough starter. (She’s not Amish either…) She just showed up on our doorstep with a plate of this delicious sweet bread and a Ziploc bag filled with starter. I’m a real sweet bread fan and I’m not sure I bothered to share except with my sweetie, of course.


I’ve told you before that the starter kind of ruled my life for a while and for about 3 months Teach and the Dog Walker made Amish Friendship Bread every time we made sourdough. They started messing around with the recipe by substituting the applesauce for some of the cooking oil and using white chocolate chips instead of the regular kind. Actually, they weren’t really white, they were some red and green striped ones I bought on clearance and threw in the freezer for times when we were desperate. The kids decided that made the best tasting bread. I finally had to put the nix on this delicious treat because we all gained about five pounds. We also took six loaves to a family party and they were eaten up almost before the meal was started. Let me know what you think!

Amish Friendship Bread


1 cup sourdough starter
3 eggs
½ cup oil
½ cup applesauce
½ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cup flour
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding (sugar-free works fine)
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate all work well)

Spray two medium loaf pans with cooking spray. Mix in separate bowl, ½ cup sugar and 1 ½ tsp cinnamon. Use ½ of this mixture to dust the bottom of the pan and the other half on top of the batter in the pans.


Mix all ingredients well before adding chocolate chips.


  Bake for 45 – 60 minutes at 325 degrees until knife comes out clean.


4 comments:

Victor said...

This sure looks delicious. There are quite a few sweet ingredients in this bread. No wonder why you would ban them.

Btw, I noticed you use Cutco, I used to sell those knives. I still continue using them.

Drama Queen said...

Oh, I love this bread....Mmmmmmmm.....

Cher said...

I have frozen the starter before to make bread at a later time. It worked good.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing..I remember a friend bringing me some years ago...when my oldest were little. I need to do it again...I am going to put this on my to do list this week.

Thanks for dropping by my blog...I have only a 1/2 dozen...enjoy the Potato Heads...