Feb 22, 2023

Traveling as Two - Patriots Point

We got up early this morning so we could get on the road; first stop - Patriots Point. Because both our dads were in the military, I think we are drawn to these types of museums. I can never resist the opportunity  to see big ships.


This museum had an aircraft carrier and a destroyer.







These ships always amaze me with how big they are. This one carried 3500 people during the war. That is about the size of my home town!!

But my favorite part of Patriots Point was not on either ship; it was the tribute to Vietnam.


It was set up mostly outside, with buildings and equipment like a an actual military camp during the Vietnam War. When I was in college, I took a class on the literature from the Vietnam War and it was fascinating. But even more than that, when I worked at Eyring, I rewrote the documents for the CH-46 simulator and they actually had one of the helicopters!



After we left Patriots Point, we drove across the very beautiful Charleston Bridge.


We got all checked into our hotel, and then we went to the Glass Onion for dinner. We wanted to try some Soul food.


These were truly the best brussel sprouts I have ever eaten! My sweetie couldn't get enough 
of his pickled beet salad.


Mountain trout and collard greens. Thanks for the fun adventure, Sweetie!



3 comments:

Cindy said...

Fascinating museum. I loved the inside of the ship and helicopter, I'm always intrigued to see how other people live/lived. And your dinner looked delicious! I only started liking brussel sprouts a few years ago and now I can't get enough of them!

Rockey said...

Wow. Looks like fun! I'm glad you're having a great time. Thanks for enjoying those foods while you're all the way across the country!

~Randy

LeAnn said...

I have been following your blog posts on and off. I have yet to leave comments. I haven't been blogging much and deciding if I would do it again. I love blogging but have been so busy with family. We added up our posterity the other day, and there are 61, not including us. We have more Grandsons and Granddaughter in-laws and two more Great Grandchildren. Since our family reunion in July, We have had nonstop children coming and going. We have had some of them live with us for a while. Life just got too busy.
I did read from the beginning of your wonderful trip until today. It sounds so fun. They say South Carolina is a beautiful place. So many of my ancestors are from North Carolina. I would love to visit these states. So far, you have had such a fun trip. I like the ships and the museum. The ocean photos are beautiful. I love that you could get with two of your daughters and all those cute grandkids for a night. I'm glad your husband is doing better and that you could make this trip.
Blessings and hugs!