Jan 12, 2013

Selling Cookies

I've had the kids out selling cookies pretty much all day today except for the couple of hours we took off for basketball games. When I was climbing into bed last night I commented to my sweetie how much I was dreading this day and I knew the kids were too.

So why do we do it?

Why do we spend all that time and energy forcing the kids to walk the neighborhood in six inches of snow when it's cold and wet outside?

I'll tell you why. Selling Girl Scout cookies has taught them so many life lessons that would have been difficult for them to learn in other ways.

1. It's taught them to approach people when they are timid and afraid (and I do mean terrified! Princess cries every year when I try to get her to sell cookies.)

2. It's taught them to be friendly and outgoing.

3. It's taught them to answer questions and that required them to do their research and prepare BEFORE they hit the streets.

4. It's taught them responsibility.

5. It's taught them that they must keep trying even when they are cold and tired and hungry.

6. It's taught them to use the bathroom before they leave the house (ok, some of them have learned that lesson...)

7. It's taught them to handle money and do math in their heads.

Sorry for the bad cell pics. But check out Princess's badges!
8. It's taught them that when you want something, you have to work for it.

9. It's taught them to work together and take care of the little ones (we pair up in groups of two or three and each group always has a small child).

10. It's taught them to set goals and achieve them.

They have probably learned a hundred other lessons as well. And these lessons are not just for the girls. Every one of my kids has helped sell and deliver cookies, because when we choose to do something as a family, we all participate.


And now I'm going to crawl back into my nice comfy bed... and see if I can warm my feet (and I didn't even walk that much!).

2 comments:

Marci said...

I've got to start hunting down Girl Scouts!

LeAnn said...

Wow, I loved all the lessons learned from selling Girl Scout Cookies. They are all true life lessons from this activity I liked most that you do this all together.
Blessings to you all1