May 12, 2013

Mothers' Day Plans

You know I haven't been feeling that great lately. I thought it was all fatigue from the Dog Walker's finals and lack of sleep, but then I started getting sick to my stomach. This nausea was pretty constant and I was thinking a nice case of food poisoning.

I got this text from Chick Fil A that they would give me a free peach milkshake for Mothers' Day if I showed up at their restaurant yesterday. So around 6:00 my sweetie and I stopped by. I had a little of the shake and passed it off to him. I just felt like crap.

One missed blood draw...
We went back to the house and I suggested a laundry movie party. I figured I could just sit around and be a little productive and all would be fine. But the nausea persisted so I took some Pepto Bismol...then some Tums...nothing seemed to help and I couldn't get comfortable. My sweetie offered to take me to the Emergency Room. I laughed him off.

About 15 minutes later the pain was in the top of my stomach, near the bottom of my ribcage. When I started experiencing the tightness in my back and shoulders, and then I started hyperventilating, I changed my mind. Twenty minutes later they checked us in and hooked me up to all sorts of machines to make sure my heart was OK. (It was.)

They tried to take blood, but as usual nobody could get me to bleed. Five pokes and two IVs later they finally got what they needed. A doctor came in and looked at my charts, then he started poking around. The pain was in a very specific place, my gall bladder. He ordered X-rays and an ultrasound.

By then it was after midnight. The kids were worried and upset. Thank goodness the Drama Queen was home for the weekend to keep things running smoothly. She put the kids to bed and Princess mixed up my bread for today's dinner. We were planning a big BBQ with Bossy's family.

After the X-ray we waited for almost an hour for the ultrasound tech to get there. Of course she couldn't tell me anything, but she spent an awful lot of time making me cry as she took pictures of the offending organ. After I was finally back in the bed in Emergency, a guy came in with a bunch of meds and pumped me full of morphene and benadryl.

It made me pretty loopy for a while. Just before 3:00 AM the doctor came back in. He told me the gall bladder needed to come out but he thought I might be able to wait a few days if I promised to go on a no fat diet until they could schedule the surgery.

Honestly, I would have been fine to just have the surgery right then except that I really didn't want to miss my phone call with Teach today (which was amazing!) I will fill you in on that tomorrow when I'm feeling a little better.

So they released us with the surgeon's phone number and a promise to call first thing Monday morning. and we headed home. It was shortly after 3:00 and the kids were all in bed. I was still very dizzy from the morphene and after a quick glass of water, I crashed on the bed.

I'm not sure of my plans for the upcoming week, but my Mothers' Day weekend didn't turn out at all the way I had planned. I hope it was better for all of you!


Messy Musings said...

SO sorry to hear about an impending surgery :(

But glad it wasn't necessary to have emergency surgery! I had my gallbladder out a few years ago, and sympathize with you on the pain / not feeling good stuff. The "no fat" diet really helps while waiting for the surgery!

Take care - you're in my prayers!

Marci said...

Oh my goodness, Sandy! I hope you are feeling better soon and that surgery goes well an fixes your problems! Thoughts and prayers for you and your cute family!

Natalie Ockey said...

Yikes! I'm so sorry. I hope that you are feeling better and had somewhat of a Happy Mother's Day.

Natalie Ockey said...

Wow. Let us know if you need anything! We'll be thinking of you.


LeAnn said...

OMG that is a story. I feel sad but I am glad you know what was causing all of the stomach problems. Gallbladder's can cause a bunch of symtoms that minic other things.
The operation isn't too bad so you should be up and about quickly. You will be in my prayers.
I do hope your Mother's Day was great!
Blessings and prayers for you!