Mar 14, 2012

Pi Day

credit
Do you know that today is a holiday? It sure is...it's Pi Day! That's because "pi" is numerically 3.14 and that is the same as March 14. Now you all know that I don't love math, but I do love a good reason to eat a nice piece of pie. There's only one problem.

Do you remember the Drama Queen's guest post last week? She mentioned that we are trying something crazy around here. On President's Day, I offered the kids $10 each if they could go without sugared treats for 5 weeks. Most of them grumbled and said it wasn't worth it, but they jumped on the bandwagon anyway. Currently on the challenge are my sweetie and me (we had to set a good example!), Drama Queen, Teach, Dog Walker, Princess, Prima Donna, and Sport. (Crafty has been on and off...today she is on.)
credit

The first few days were the hardest. We were all a bit surprised how often we are offered yummy treats and we just eat them without thinking. Our idea was to raise awareness so the kids could make better choices, and this was a good time for us because there were no holidays or birthdays or so we thought. We totally forgot about pi day!

This tradition began about five or six years ago. Usually Teach brings us a couple of cream pies from the Village Inn and we split up and have at it. Not this year. The sweet and yummy will have to wait.

Yesterday when the kids were lamenting their loss, Drama Queen offered to make a different kind of pie. This year we will be celebrating with homemade pizza! Happy Pi Day!


credit

9 comments:

Katie said...

I personally would take a pizza pie over any other kind of pie any day!! That picture REALLY made me want pizza...I currently have lasagna in the oven, hopefully its close enough to satisfy me! :)

ccc said...

Pi day! How fun...will have to tell the kids about it.

Arkansas Patti said...

I had never heard of Pi day. How clever.
Good luck on the treats. I once heard that if sugar were discovered today, it would be classified as a poison. I try to remember that when I get the craving.

Anonymous said...

Pizza is my favorite I could eat it everyday!

Unknown said...

That's hilarious...I had no clue about Pi Day! Good excuse for pizza and pie hehe

Dog-Walker said...

16/Pi

Marci said...

Oh that pizza looks delicious! I wish i had remembered pi day earlier, it's too late for me to make a pie now!

Natalie Ockey said...

Good compromise on the type of "pie" you are going to eat. We had pizza yesterday. I wish I would have known about Pi Day earlier. Maybe I'll get ambitious and make a pie . . .

Jen + Jeff said...

We celebrated Pi Day today too. Pizza pies and apple pie for us. Yum!