Jan 21, 2012

Food for Thought: Beans 'n Gravy


My mom wasn't a world-famous chef.

I don't mean that disrespectfully, but when I was little, she didn't like to take any risks in the kitchen. She baked her own bread and she made amazing homemade pizza! Her sour cream cupcakes were the talk of the town and she made my favorite banana bread of all time. But most of her dishes were pretty ordinary. Dad was a "meat and potatoes" man, so we rarely ate anything new and different. I was OK with that (since I didn't know anything about the culinary world...that was way before the Food Network). I ate pretty much whatever I was served and I didn't complain. Except for one thing...I absolutely hated and would rather miss the entire meal than eat her green beans in tomato sauce!

So when my sweetie and I first started dating and he talked about his mom's beans 'n gravy, I refused to even taste them. He assured me that they were completely different from my mom's recipe. I think we may have even been married before I finally relented. And he was right, they were delicious. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Beans 'n Gravy

green beans, warmed in microwave
white sauce
fresh ground pepper
unbuttered toast



I could bore you all with the details of how to make white sauce, but we all learned in Jr. High cooking class so you can just look at the pics and watch what a great job my sweetie does with it. Oh, hey, and notice my awesome new Tupperware pan he is using...





When your white sauce is thickened and ready to go, add the well-drained green beans.  Now generously sprinkle with pepper.
 

Break your toast into bite-sized pieces and then spoon the beans 'n gravy over the top. Serve immediately!
Mmmmmm...

The perfect comfort food!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smile as I read this post, my mum made creamed peas on toast, to this day, I think of them when I think of her, great post!

Bossy said...

Bossy here with an urgent message. Absolutely do not attempt to make this with store-canned string beans. This is really so much better if you home can the beans. If not use your favorite variety of store beans.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I've got to try this...looks delicious. My kids are a big fan of my chipped beef on toast, which is this recipe with chipped beef instead of green beans. I really think it would be awesome with green beans, though!!