Jul 23, 2019

I'm the King of Sanpete County...

Remember in the movie/play "Newsies"? As the song goes, "If you're in the pape you're famous!" So this isn't New York, this is Sanpete County and I had my pic in the paper lots of times, but these when I was a freshman in high school are some of the first.

I loved playing on the high school basketball team even though I only tried out for the team my first two years. After that, I decided that if I wanted to get my AS degree from Snow the same year I graduated from high school, something would have to go. Sadly, basketball was the one. (I would have much rather given up homework...)


Anyway, I always wore #24 and at 5'8", I was nowhere near the tallest player on the team. I wasn't that fast either, but I was always a great rebounder and I could often see a place to make a good pass which is an important skill if you don't want someone constantly stealing the ball.

I played JV, but I was one of 3 chosen to dress for Varsity my sophomore year. That doesn't mean much, especially in such a small school, but I loved the game and I was naturally competitive, so more games made me happy.


I still love basketball and I'm grateful that even though I will likely never have my pic in the "pape" for my hook shot, I still get a chance to get out on the court.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Wow, I love this newspaper photos. Being on a team in High School is such a significant moment in life. I love basketball too and played a lot of church basketball but not High School. I'm rather short but was pretty good at layups and occasionally a hook shot.
My father was a baseball coach for a town team for years, and he loved all sports.
I enjoyed reading about your basketball experience.
Blessings and hugs!