May 8, 2012

The Appraisal

I know I promised you a pinewood derby post today, but my sweetie was too tired to write it, so here I am, pouring my heart out. That's because a couple of weeks ago in the middle of all this craziness, we had a pretty good-sized wind storm. Like every other time, that wind blew a bunch of shingles off my roof and into the flowerbeds.

This is usually not that big of a problem because my awesome son-in-law (BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GAMER!!!) climbs up there and patches the bare spots. That's been going on for the past 8 years. But this time my sweetie said, "Enough! How much is it going to cost to re-shingle the house?"

This is actually the second time he asked this question and the first time the answer was like $14,000. Now I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money just laying around...and if I did, I'm not sure I'd want to spend it on my roof. So the obvious answer was to check into our equity and see about refinancing the house.

We happened to be in luck. Rates had dropped an entire percentage point since our last loan was written, so the whole thing suddenly made sense. I got on a fast-track loan program with our current mortgage holders and got started on the paperwork. That's when my kids learned the meaning of the word "appraisal." And they didn't like it!

We've spent the last 10 days cleaning and scrubbing and fixing up. Everyone had to clean their bedrooms and help in the common areas. My sweetie touched up paint, replaced the outside light fixtures, and scrubbed bathrooms. I didn't like the idea of someone being able to just wander anywhere they wanted in my house, but that is exactly what happened at 10:00 this morning.

Oh and since he had to measure the yard and the garage, all of those areas needed to at least look presentable. It was a nightmare! But everyone chipped in, even Bossy's family came over and helped us get the yard in shape. It was like spring cleaning on steroids.

I couldn't do anything about the massive pile of laundry, but my house looks amazing and I'm so proud of the kids for all of their hard work. I'll let you know how it works out...maybe tomorrow my sweetie will be sufficiently rested to write about the cars.

Maybe...

9 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

LOVE the t-shirt! Good job on getting the house in order! Hope you're able to get your new roof. And just so you know, we don't have that kind of money laying around either!!! And I can think of other things to do with that amount also! Enjoy your day!

Trina said...

Thanks for the comment on my post.

I have a job where I get inspections once or twice a year. I don't care for the inspections themselves but love that my house gets so clean once in a while....which is quite short-lived with kids, lol.

Anonymous said...

$14,000 is an enormous amount of money for shingles, what kind of place gives that amount of an estimate, you could get a brand new rood, tear off for a lot less than that amount here, would even put in free gutters to boot...Utah must charge an emormous amount for roofing projects..Get your appraisal and get a roof done for a lot less than that amount..wow whee, oh, my but I do think your cost of living is cheaper than here, everyone wants to live in the west coast city (tiny) washington state, but the big but is there are no family jobs that support a momma to stay at home with her children, plus the daddy has to commute to Oregon to work and their state income tax is hovering at nearly 8 percent extra they take out of your paycheck and the state doesn't fund schools and is building prisons like crazy, plus it is the number one state in all of the USA for childhood and elderly HUNGER...no you live in a much better state than Oregon and get a company that won't charge you that amount for shingles in Utah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow, looks like you guys were super busy!!! Inspections are never fun I'm sure, but hope it works out to your advantage in the long run :) Fingers crossed on the appraisal!! :)

Brandi

Emma Frances said...

What a good way to get motivated to get the house cleaned up! Haha. That does not sound like fun though! Even in my apartment I wouldn't want someone to have free range to check out whatever they wanted!

Arkansas Patti said...

Hope all goes well with the apprasial and you get your new roof.
Cool t-shirt.

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

You are so busy!! I remember the inspection days! Good luck- I hope you get your roof!! Let us know how it goes!!

Shell said...

So nice that everyone pitched in to get everything ready!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I pray it all works out for you. Hey, now the house is clean for awhile, that must feel good!