May 10, 2018

See Scout Cook

Scout has been learning to cook. On Tuesday night she made us a nice dinner with tilapia, rice, salad; the works. It was difficult to get her to commit even though she had an assignment for school that required her to cook and then clean up the entire meal. It's a good thing we had basketball or I'm not sure she would have done it. (She will do almost anything to get the opportunity to come to basketball.)


Then yesterday I was at Sam's Club and I got a great deal on pancake mix. When Scout got home from school, I asked her if she wanted to make pancakes for dinner. I was surprised by her quick "Yes!" Her pancakes turned out delicious! Fluffy, thick,and quick to soak up plenty of syrup. Only one problem.


She had absolutely NO desire to clean up when she was finished.

4 comments:

LeAnn said...

Oh, this was a cute one! Hugs for Scout and her cooking moments. Yup! It is a rule if you cook you clean.

Natalie Ockey said...

That's the hardest part of cooking! Did she get it cleaned up? Also, I disagree with your use of a semicolon in sentence 2.

Mom of 12 said...

OK, Little Bro, normally I would just ignore you, but I want to explain my thinking about the semicolon. A semicolon replaces a ",and" in a sentence. I didn't want the "and" in my sentence. If we want the real scoop on grammar, we need to ask Kinz. She is a true expert. Love ya (yeah, I know, "ya" isn't a real word either... ;)

Drama Queen said...

Okay, darlings, if we want to argue punctuation this is my recommendation. 1. The sentence begins with an introductory phrase defining time which indicates it needs a comma after Tuesday. 2. The sentence then contains a list which is more than two items long thus necessitating the use of a coordinating conjunction and the Oxford comma (on which I shall always insist). 3. The use of the phrase “the works” is meant to be a qualifier for the entirety of the preceding list. In that instance, the best choice would be a typical colon. Thus your sentence should read: On Tuesday, Kate made us a nice dinner with tilapia, rice, and a salad: the works.” However! As the phrase “the works” does not read clearly as a qualifier of the dinner, it would be better to use it at the head of the list. On Tuesday, Kate made us the works for dinner: tilapia, rice, and a salad.

My consultant fee is one dollahz.