Jan 27, 2011

Sick Babies


I’ve got sick babies. They make it so hard to sleep I thought I’d make another post. My two-year-old has always been a sickly child. He started with a month of jaundice. After a dozen ear infections we had tubes put in, but they haven’t completely stopped the infections. We are still in the doctor’s office about once a month asking for another antibiotic. The nurses at the doctor’s office all recognize him and remember his name because he has been in so many times.

His latest ailment is asthma. This requires fairly regular breathing treatments that become more frequent when he has a cold. I took him in yesterday because he had been vomiting and running a fever for about three days. Even after the pain and discomfort of a strep test he happily swallowed his medicine for the nurse and smiled at the Spiderman sticker that was his prize.


He is so different from me. I get a little headache and I’m popping Ibuprofen and complaining to anyone who will listen. My little Baby Doll is sick too. She has a stuffy nose and a cough. It’s so hard when they are so small. They don’t understand why they can’t breath and it makes us all grumpy. Not even chicken noodle soup can help at this age. Speaking of Chicken Soup, once upon a time I wrote a story that was published in Chicken Soup for the Latter-day Saint Soul, 2005. It’s a good read especially when you are sitting up late at night with sick babies. I wonder if I can find my copy…

No comments: