May 19, 2020

COVID-19 - Night at the Movies

Our family typically goes to a couple of movies a year. It's not that we don't like them, it's just an expensive activity when we can watch the same movie on Netflix in a few weeks. That's why I was completely stunned when my sweetie suggested that we should take 18 of our closest friends to the movies.
Wait, let me back up a bit.

Last week, Bossy posted an ad from the Megaplex on our Slack channel. They were offering private screenings for up to 20 people and we could choose the movie title. It also included a large drink and a large popcorn for each member, all for $375.
That was our entire entertainment budget for the year!! But my sweetie said these are crazy times and we want to burn happy memories as well as the scary ones. 

So I bought the tickets.
The movie we chose was the original Shrek; my younger kids had never seen it, but a bunch of the older ones remembered going as a family and seeing it on the big screen when it was released in 2001.
As it turned out, we were able to bring the 8 of us living home, Teach's family, Drama Queen, and Bossy's family. We started with our own personal guide who was actually the manager of our theater here in the District.  She ran over a few things and then took us through the private entrance where we each made our own drinks (except me, my sweetie sent me off to hold things down in our theater while Scout made my drink).

The popcorn buckets were the really big ones and everyone got their own!! They were waiting for us on a table right outside our theater door. We could choose any seat, even the fancy recliners, but my favorite part was singing LOUD, calling to someone across the room during the movie, letting the littles wander, and the dance party at the end!
If I could afford it, we would go back on Thursday and do it all over again. I think that's about how long it will take us to finish the popcorn...

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Wow, that is so awesome! I love that you are making some good memories through all of this.
Blessings and hugs!

Lucky Day said...

That's certainly memorable. What a great activity.